Sep 20, 2012

How Many Bridesmaids?

Wedding etiquette has certainly changed over the years, and while there used to be pretty strict guidelines about the size of the wedding party, they really aren't adhered to anymore. I've been to 200+ weddings with two bridesmaids, and 100 person weddings with 8 bridesmaids. There's no one-size-fits-all rule anymore... at least, not one that people abide by!


Couldn't have done it without these three!

I'm actually an advocate for the "less is more" approach when it comes to your wedding party, for many reasons. Traditionally, you would have three bridesmaids for the first 150 guests, and then add on an additional bridesmaid for each additional 50. I still think that's a good starting place, plus or minus a couple, and I'll explain why:

1) It's more special. When I got married, I chose 3 bridesmaids who were important people to me from different parts of my life. One was my sister, one was my childhood best friend, and one was my closest friend from college and beyond. These three women represented different times and places in my life, and I liked the meaning behind that. There's a special honor to being someone's bridesmaid, and having an intimate group keeps it that way.

2) It's more practical. The smaller your wedding party, the less people you have to manage. Ultimately, this means less complications with choosing dresses & accessories, arranging travel, coordinating schedules, etc. Also, have you ever heard of the term "herding cats"? On the day of your wedding, getting all your bridesmaids in one spot for photos, etc. becomes increasing difficult with size... especially once the champagne starts flowing.

3) It's easier to select. I know that some people would say that having 12 bridesmaids makes it easier, because maybe that's how many really close girlfriends you have. However, I think it's easier to stick with a small group. For example, for me, picking one college friend was easier than picking two. I could pick one - she was my roommate for most of college and my closest friend - but two? How could I choose! If I chose one another friend, I'd feel bad about not choosing another. Once you've picked two college friends, the flood gates are open, and before you know it all 6 of your college besties plus your sisters plus anyone else important in your life are in your bridal party.

Of course, this is just my take. Ultimately, I think every bride should do what makes them most comfortable and happy on their big day. If having 12 maids is what you want, go for it! However, if you're on the fence and unsure about what might work best for you, I say: start small.


No comments:

Post a Comment